Bloody hell! Bloody bloody hell!

Bloody hell! Bloody bloody hell!
April 15, 2016 Paul Tomkins

By Paul Tomkins.

I’ve been arguing that this has ended up being an enjoyable season, despite (and partly because) of various challenges … but even with Klopp’s ability to eke the last drop of effort out of his players, and his constant ability to change games with players from the bench, I didn’t see “4-3” coming when it was 2-0 or 3-1 to Dortmund.

Not a chance.

Twenty years on (almost to the day) from Liverpool 4 Newcastle 3 – a game I was not only at but took half-time penalties – we’ve just seen the best European game at Anfield for a good few years – one that is up with the very best. Like the game two decades ago, this was another 4-3, with a last-minute killer goal.

I started writing before the game that Liverpool could follow Dortmund and Atletico Madrid’s lead in recent years and reach European finals, and become challengers domestically, despite not having the riches – it seemed set, after the way performances have been improving.

But by half-time that was in the bin, and I was writing a piece called “Liverpool 8, Dortmund 11”, referring to the fact that Liverpool still had two or three passengers in the XI, whereas Dortmund were just further down the road to perfection, with pace and skill in every position. They seemed to have 11 great players, all on the same wavelength. Of course, that’s now in the bin, too.

So this is my third attempt, and it’s not easy to write coherently when you are newly doubly incontinent, and have screamed so hard at the winning goal that your throat is now hanging out of your mouth as if something from Alien has burst forth. (Apologies in advance for any typos, or moments where I drift off into euphoric reveries.)

Due to my health I don’t get to games anywhere near as much as I used to, and most of the time I don’t miss it too much – apart from on a night like this.

European nights bring out the best in Anfield, and every now and then the script is beyond comprehension. I was lucky enough to be at Istanbul, and this was probably the best feeling since then; possibly even better than being in Cardiff a year later, for another crazy outcome. This feels bigger because this is the start of a new era, where we all need something to cling to, and Dortmund are two or three levels above West Ham in 2006. This is against European elite, even if it was just the Europa League. (Who knew the Europa could be so good?)

In general, the atmosphere at Anfield had been getting increasingly worse over recent years – something you really notice when go back when you’re no longer a regular (although I expect the regulars notice it too) – but as was seen in the run-in in 2013/14, it can still be very special. Sometimes I’m embarrassed when overseas players, managers and fans talk about the fabled Anfield atmosphere, because due to various reasons it’s not what it was, and I expect them to be disappointed. But this showed that it can still be one of the very best in the world, especially with something to hang onto.

And in Jürgen Klopp, Liverpool have a manager who has looked to feed off the crowd, and made it about a symbiotic relationship. (One manager who didn’t get that – Roy Hodgson – looked stony faced at the end in the director’s box, as those around him celebrated.)

Klopp-goes-mad

Also, it has to be said, that Klopp seems to have a habit of making insane things happen. This result doesn’t come with silverware, but a big part of football – to the German, without doubt, but also to fans – is the occasion. The occasion is what is often spoke about in decades to come, not certain results.

This was one of those incredible nights that will live longer in the memory than, for example, many a League Cup triumph (although he also managed to take the team to within a penalty shootout of winning that, too).

He just seems to have some kind of winner’s edge, although maybe he’s also lucky, in the way that all managers rely on luck here and there. If Sakho heads the chance at 3-2 wide, then Klopp looks a fool for his side going 2-0 and 3-1 down, and blowing the great situation set up after last week in Germany.

In the end, it was hairs-on-the-back-of-the-neck special, and enlarges the aura that already surrounds him; an aura that in itself is of course purely metaphorical, but which can lead players to believe. (Unless he genuinely has a glow, as he emanates his own aurora: a one-man northern lights display.)

After several great league performances that will live long in the memory (even if they don’t count for an awful lot), and the destruction of Manchester United in the previous round, this was somehow even better.; not least because, unlike United, Dortmund look pretty decent. Whether or not momentum exists, belief is such a key part of football, and few people understand that as much as Klopp.

This wasn’t as one-sided as the 4-0 destruction of Real Madrid seven years ago – indeed, this game was hugely two-sided – but it was probably the most exciting since St Etienne in 1977, because of the uphill task (from the 9th minute onwards), and the level of the opposition. (Edit: I overlooked Olympiakos, which was a great occasion, but they weren’t 2-0 and 3-1 up, and neither were they a great side. But that was also a great European night, no doubt.)

It wasn’t the most tense: that was Chelsea in 2005, and the 87-minute wait on the one-goal lead. And that also led to the first European Cup final in over two decades: the reward was far greater that night. This has ‘only’ the reward of a semi-final, in a lesser competition.

But this was perhaps the most thrilling Anfield European game ever – certainly in my lifetime. It almost had all the goals of the 6-3 versus Sion in 1996, but with far more meaning.

It almost has the meaning of some of the great European Cup nights too, because this is the start of a “project”, and Klopp had a lot of pride at stake against the team he helped create, who were starting to embarrass him so early in the match. So much seemed to be riding on it, not least Liverpool’s season. People all over the world will have been watching this games, and top players will be more sold on the idea of joining the club with Klopp at the helm, overseeing nights like this.

We often look back at events and call them turning points, but this feels like the moment Liverpool turned into a proper side. One of my “passengers” – James Milner – yet again defied logic to put in a great cross from open play, when doing so from a corner seemed beyond him (as can simple passes at times); making for his second assist of the night, when I’d have taken him off well before then. He’s far from perfect, but he stuck at it, and even John Barnes would have struggled to beat the perfection of that cross, at a time when others would have lashed it.

And Dejan Lovren – so utterly awful in the opposing penalty box since arriving at Liverpool – joined Mamadou Sakho in becoming an unlikely goalscoring hero. To see the pair at the end, celebrating like escapees from an asylum, was one of the great Anfield images. Team spirit is everywhere, but also tactical rearrangements, too – it’s not just about heart. Klopp is not just some jack-in-the-box manager jumping about on the sidelines; he clearly sees stuff and makes clever changes.

However, the biggest praise should go to Divock Origi – a 20-year-old who scored a great goal, battled away, held it up, flicked it on, ran in behind, came short, dribbled down the flanks, and generally tore Mats Hummels to shreds.

Origi is still raw, but I’ve loved the potential of this kid since we signed him, and defended him since day one. He is in red-hot form, and showing what a complete striker he can be. Daniel Sturridge did well too, when he came on, but Origi – to my mind in the team mainly for his work-rate and pace against such strong opposition – is doing pretty much everything right at the moment. Even so, singling out anyone on a night like this seems unfair.

But seriously – bloody hell! Indeed: fucking hell!

Comments (124)

1. Author

But seriously – bloody hell!

2. madchenKliop 7 years ago

But was it as good as the 4 -5 v Norwich?

• Author

Ha!

We seem to have started scoring late, dramatic goals – and that’s a good sign!

• madchenKliop 7 years ago

….I was joking!!!! 😀  Although, I agree!  Late goals is a great habit to get into.

• Author
        Paul Tomkins 7 years ago

I gathered you were joking – no one is that insane 😉

But the point stands: we now do late drama, mostly in a good way.

3. Markii 7 years ago

Ha ha knew you couldn’t resist writing a piece straight after, don’t know how you keep a clear enough head to do it, bravo ??

4. madchenKliop 7 years ago

I agree about Origi.  His goal would have been so easy to fluff and yet he was clinical. He’s a very cool customer and funny too!  I like him a lot!  But also – let’s not take Lil Phil’s goal for granted neither.  Absolutely delivered at the most crucial time with a totally inspired bit of accuracy.  The 3rd and 4th goals were more the result of sheer passion, but I thought our first 2 were both spectacularly quality goals in any stratosphere.

• Assif 7 years ago

Yes I forgot to mention Phil, his use of the ball was exemplary in the second half. His game seems to have come on leaps and bounds under the new coaching set-up. He’s choosing his moments superbly at present and I don’t want him going anywhere this summer.

• tjobrien17 7 years ago

Yes, congratulations to Phil on a good goal and great play generally in the second half. Wearing my #10 Coutinho shirt (as always) I cringed at his giveaway for their first goal. He bounced back strongly from a tough start. Great response by Coutinho.

• Nari_Singh 7 years ago

This may have already been mentioned but I’ve not had a chance to look through all the comments but I thought Can’s run and ball for Origi was brilliant. What a player he is too.

But Klopp, I think he’s a once in a generation type of person. He looked visibly shocked and down after their second goal but didn’t give up in shouting and urging the team to play. That effect has rubbed off on all the players which is just incredible.

Also special mention to Paul for writing this excellent piece. What an amazing collective TTT is.

• Author
        Paul Tomkins 7 years ago

Cheers, Nari. I think Can is awesome – that words sums him up, in full flow. A real force of nature – not quite at Steven Gerrard ‘prime years’ level, but maybe not too far behind where Gerrard was in his early 20s, before he added goals to his game.

Even if Can is 70% as good as beast-years Gerrard, that’d be amazing. He’s still only 22, and only in his second season in England.

5. Assif 7 years ago

I have to commend you Paul on writing something so coherent and insightful after a game like that. How do we sleep after that kind of drama?

We’ve just crushed the spirit of a team taking baby steps towards their former greatness in quite incredible fashion and could have scored so many more. Origi is emerging as our go-to striker and despite all our obvious shortcomings we completely over-ran a team that, although very pretty on the ball, have some inherent weaknesses and lack that steely resolve that they had under Klopp. I would love to ask that BVB fan whose comments were posted on the first leg thread what he thinks of Klopp now!

Our fitness under Klopp is incredible and that helped us tonight against a tiring Dortmund who just lost their fight and legs at the end. Imagine what might have been had Klopp taken over even just one month earlier.

To do what we did tonight even without being the finished article is simply amazing by any standard. Maybe, just maybe, Klopp will bring back those halcyon days we enjoyed under Rafa.

We’re very lucky to have him and the feel-good factor he has brought back to the club after those dark few months towards the end of BR’s tenure.

Now please just a slightly easier draw for the semi final!

• Author

Adrenaline is bad for my health, but helps me write – no way I couldn’t write something after a game like that.

6. Markii 7 years ago

We must not underestimate how playing and competing toe to toe with Dortmund at that pace and level of football has on our confidence and psyche.

I said this after the first leg and look at how we despatched Stoke.

I know myself from playing sport at County level then coming back to play club matches your game is on a much higher level and the club games seem easy.

I think we always had the ability but lacked belief, and Klopp has slowly built that belief. His press conferences have alluded to that many times.

We took on the best pressing team in the world and played it through them with intelligence at pace, that is seriously impressive.

I remember under Rogers against teams that pressed us we would just hoof it, or pass back to Ming who would hoof it.

These players should feel like world beaters now and I can see us getting close to max points from remaining PL games.

• madchenKliop 7 years ago

Or else they’ll feel absolutely fucking drained!  Hope you’re right though!

• Grover 7 years ago

I agree completely about the way we passed our way out of the press rather than hoofing.  Our first two goals involved excellent first time passes to open them up through the middle.  Very impressive.

7. Author

Just sat down to watch the goals again on the Sky+ planner, and, so annoyingly, it only went and ran out of disk space (even though there seemed to be plenty beforehand), and so none of it was there.

Grrrr! But it’s on again at midnight, so I’ll record it again to watch tomorrow. And then again on Saturday. And Sunday…

8. Simon Klopp (AKA 1Hanmdd) 7 years ago

Fuck me sideways. That was just incredible. And I think we deserved it too!

9. Michael Caley’s Expected goals, across both legs:

Liverpool: 3.4

Dortmund: 3.4

Bloody hell! Bloody bloody hell!

• NickM 7 years ago

so how come we ended up with 5.4 across both legs? 😉

• thundyr 7 years ago

Because it’s football, not statistics.  😉

10. reaz45 7 years ago

Want to sleep but can’t and don’t care. Love it. Just a shame no trophy and it wasn’t a final. Still the belief these players and of course the man himself has we can do this.

11. Markii 7 years ago

Is there any way of finding out the financial implications of this EL run, with so many games played and all the gate receipts plus another 2 games to go possibly 3 and prize money, does this run come close financially to being in the CL and getting knocked out in the group stage.

Maybe one of the wonderful team at Tomkins Towers can work this out? ⚽️ ?

• David McGlade 7 years ago

This isn’t as in-depth as a typical TTT analysis and I’m sure someone on the TTT team will do a better job, but I’ve had a go.

See these links:

Prize money has increased by 65% in the EL and 50% in the CL since last season.

Ignoring gate receipts to start with, earnings come from participation fee, performance bonus and the market pool (TV income, which is distributed according to the proportional value of each TV market, i.e. England, Spain, Italy & Germany get more. Earnings for each club within each country also vary depending on their league position the previous year, and number of matches played in the competition, but I won’t go into that any more).

In 2014/15 Liverpool earned €33.6m from getting knocked out of the CL at the group stage. If they had got knocked out at the same stage this year, they would have earned around €40-45m due to an increase in prize money and a new market pool distribution system benefitting English clubs more.

Based on Totalsportek’s figures, this year Liverpool’s potential earnings in the EL are: 2.4m (participation) + 12m (performance) + ≈8m (market pool) + ≈4*2m (extra gate receipts) ≈ €30m.

(Note: extra gate receipts are due to an extra four matches at Anfield in the knock-out stages. There would obviously be three group stage matches at Anfield whether they were in the EL or CL. Doubt they would get much from gate receipts for the final.)

So not great, but this season the total fund for the EL is around 30% that of the CL; compare this to the 2011/12 season where I believe it was more like 20%.

These figures obviously don’t include any performance bonuses from sponsorship deals too (I don’t know anything about that).

12. Beez 7 years ago

Whilst it’s obviously right to credit Klopp after that, in truth I think it’s something that’s ingrained in the club.

Of course it’s hard to think of them for other clubs because we don’t follow them so closely, but have Arsenal ever had a game like that? Chelsea? We have one every couple of years!

Team spirit is crucial, but when the club spirit is right at Liverpool, it is unrivalled. And after many ups and downs in recent years, right now it feels like the whole club is pulling in the right direction.

UP THE REDS!

• madchenKliop 7 years ago

I think you are right in that the kind of players that sign for LFC tend to buy into the romance of our epic and nutty history, but I must admit – much as I liked him – I couldn’t see BR or the Hodge presiding over a match like that.  Not least because Klopp’s set up and choice and timing of his subs was geared towards providing that surge of energy towards the latter parts of the match.  Klopp embraces risk taking.  I don’t think we should be worrying about Joe Allen not starting matches – it was a killer blow to bring him on to exploit the tiring minds of the bewildered Dortmunders.

• Grover 7 years ago

Hopefully Allen may decide it’s better to be an important squad player at this club with a chance of winning things under a superb manager than going to a lesser Premier League team and being a starter.  That is, if Klopp thinks he’s worthy of a new contract.  I would like to keep him.  As many have said before, the best United sides had players like Allen who were happy to contribute but not necessarily be regular starters.  Every successful club needs them.  He was superb last night again.

• Author

Well, there was one in 1989!  🙁

I think Arsenal have had a few crazy comebacks, and the odd amazing win – 5-1 at the San Siro against Inter in 2003, I think. Didn’t they come back from 3-0 down recently in Europe, but I may just be imagining that!

I think we tend to do these more often, mind!

13. Sprungy 7 years ago

Well done Paul for writing something coherent – that was a mad game. I felt strangely calm throughout, but never expected that! That’s why we support Liverpool – when it’s good, it’s very good and the drama is unbelievable.  Delighted with Origi too – just needed some patience – he looks like he’s going to be the real deal – just needed to get his around the Prem madness and put on a few pounds and it’s starting to work out for him. Onwards and upwards and up the Reds – love ’em!

14. watyeonaboot 7 years ago

It has been a long, long time since i have enjoyed watching a liverpool game so much. Genuinely, i think it was as far back as the 4 1 at old trafford seven years ago.

This game will be talked about in 20 years’ time in the same breath as st etienne 1977. This was one of the top five teams in europe that we beat tonight. And how classy were the dortmund fans and their manager after this result, with  thunderous applause for klopp at the final whistle, and thomas tuchel praising our team and fans and saying they had to ‘take defeat like champions’. It should be dortmund and not city gracing the final four of the champions league.

Im really hoping that liverpool will enjoy the result for a day or so but give donetsk, villarreal and sevilla maximum respect. After a night like tonight we absolutely have to be winning this trophy in may.

15. But seriously – bloody hell!

Calm down Paul. Continue with your cigar.

16. NickM 7 years ago

The question of the night though is just how good is Origi?

The lad has it all. He can control the ball with any part of his body, he has pace, he can hold it up, lay it off, dribble past players, score from distance or from two yards, he can do it with his head or one on one. He was absolutely outstanding tonight for someone so young.

Now imagine how good he would be if he was Ligue Un’s best player…..

17. Anthony Stanley 7 years ago

Brilliant stuff. Devoured that in about a minute.

Ill never forget Daniel Rodes’ line after we beat Chelsea: ‘living life, not thinking about living it’.  That was the feeing when Lovren scored; nothing, absolutely nothing existed outside the moment. It was, in a word, sublime. I’ll never, ever forget it.

At 2-0 down my 4 year old kept asking: ‘Are we winning, dad’. I was struggling to even be a decent father and was trying to keep his hopes up. When Origi scored, he’d gone to bed, but heard my expletives. I had to bring him down.

What followed was just miraculous. The queen took herself into the kitchen at 3-1. She was crestfallen for my son and I and couldn’t watch. Then 3-2. Kid is wide awake again, my wife is imploring the Reds more than I am. I kept on saying to her that we can do this; my son just kept looking at me quizacally and, intermittently, running around the room screaming ‘Tricky Reds’.

3-3: my kid jumped and started crying at the ferocity of my celebrations.

The winner? He’d fallen asleep but it was a laudable effort from the nipper. Myself and the queen hugged and danced around.

Incredible. Just incredible.

• I wish I could remember that line! And adhere to it!

I woke up my 10 week old daughter, and got the stare, after Lovren’s goal. After being virtually motionless (with a slight “get in” after the third). I was off the couch. Screaming. Jumping about. Bloody amazing.

Liverpool Football Club has something about it.

Jürgen Klopp has something about him.

What that something is, many have tried to describe, but add them both together, and you get last night. Bloody amazing.

• Anthony Stanley 7 years ago

After we beat Chelsea I think Dan. It was in response to a long post I wrote. Just really struck a chord.

• Daniel Rhodes 7 years ago

I remember writing it mate, just wish I’d remember it in everyday life, rather than over-analysing stuff to death 🙂

• humdul1 7 years ago

Heh! Brilliant…

And This was probably replicated across the country… Seen so many stories of celebrations by other supporters as well.

This feels like Liverpool is back…

It fees like the Benitez days…

We are in a semi…

I love semis….

18. Stevenson1988 7 years ago

I’m not sure who I want us to draw tomorrow, mind you I don’t really care after that. One thing I can absolutely guarantee though, none of the other 3 will want to draw LFC – and we’re still unbeaten in the Europa League. The scenes at the end with Lovren and Sakho tell everyone all you need to know about the team Klopp is building. I just feel we might be on the cusp of something special.

19. Sprungy 7 years ago

Really need to try and get to sleep but can’t – massive smile on my mush!

20. DeetotheGee 7 years ago

The Olympiakos game was a remarkable come back. But it was one of those games where Gerrard seemed to carry the whole team on his back. We got through and we thanked the Lord for Stevie G being the inspiration that he was.

But tonight it was the team. There were brilliant performances all over the place – and a few fitful ones too – but the never-say-die spirit seemed to be coursing through everyone’s veins.

Allen, Mignolet, Sakho, Lovren, Can, Origi. That’s six players who – at the time of Klopp’s arrival – hadn’t really won the fans over. (To varying degrees and in Origi’s case, he wasn’t really expected to have done so…) But all six of them were important tonight.

That’s immense. We’re a team.

• pmsutton 7 years ago

I’d add Milner to that list as well, 2 fabulous assists in the match!

• Author

Mignolet really was excellent, and maybe Klopp is right, and he can rely on him. I’m still not convinced, because of the number of mistakes, but maybe he’s been making fewer mistakes lately on the road to improvement? Certainly can’t recall as many costly ones. But hard to ever be sure with Mignolet, who looks great at times, then lets in a soft goal.

21. kloppva 7 years ago

escapees from an asylum – top!

Up at 5am, miserable by 5.15 so started cooking bacon and eggs. At 3-3 sent a text to my brother who replied “You knob! I’m on a 10 minute delay.”

My old man was driving home from the hospital where Mum was having a knee replacement, and rang as soon as he got home, 5 mins after the final whistle. “What a match! I was listening to it on the radio driving back from Norwich,” 10 minutes of very excitable footy chat later… “oh, and your mum’s alright.”

I watched goals on the replay. For the life of me I couldn’t recall Lovren’s goal. Going bonkers got the better of me.

22. echykr 7 years ago

At 1-3 was feeling a bit deflated. But Istanbul has taught me well to stay through the end.

Back in September, if someone told me we’d be playing in the Europa League Quarter Final, I’d have told him to sod off.

So at 1-3 down I told myself “Savour the moment and baptism of fire, and go out all guns blazing if we must.”

This is up there with St Etienne 1977 and Olympiakos 2005 as one of the best high scoring Anfield Euro Epics. (And maybe Arsenal 2008)

Most nerve-wracking is of course 2005 and 2007 Chavs.

23. Author

Been to bed. Lay there. Lay there some more.

Nope, brain says: no sleep for you!

I’ll try again in a bit. LFC: bad for your sleep!

• halonkarrison 7 years ago

Try living in Australia and watching any game live! Regular occurance at 2, 3 am.

Midweek games start at 3-4 in the morning.

Eyes start looking back at your own head thinking “who are you?” but worth it.

• NeilM 7 years ago

I’ve stumbled through today after a night of 2-3 hours sleep. What’s more, if I explain the reason why to non football enthusiasts, they think I’m insane!

Totally worth it though.

24. At 1-3 I said to myself. Well at least Liverpool put up a good fight and will continue to do so despite losing the game.

And then at 2-3. I said ‘Well, that’s right. It will be a good fight. Well done Coutinho.” And then I saw Coutinho did a Gerrard, egging on the crowd.

Could it be? No. Not possible.

Then Sakho scored. 3-3. Bloody hell. Liverpool CAN Do it but Can is down injured.

And then he went off, replaced by Lucas.

Then the Milner pass, Sturridge holding on to the ball and then at the right moment, released it for Milner. I stood up from my chair as if I knew it was going to happen.

And then.. LOVREN! He rose and scored and did a flying kick near the corner flag.

The comeback is complete.

25. DavidW 7 years ago

The impact of a win like that – needing 3 goals (twice) against a really good side and doing it – is just so hard to measure in terms of the belief it will instil in the team; that “winning mentality”.

Seville, Shaktar, Villareal – I dont give s f’#ck who we draw, just bring it on, but I bet all three of thse team are filled with fear dread at the prosepect of playing us.

26. Roller. 7 years ago

No sound. I’m speaking, but no sound. Me & my son are, & have been, on a magical mystery tour. When Can lay in the middle of their goal, my son said get up, we don’t have time. Old man says no worries son, we don’t want to score the winner until the 90th minute. You see, we won’t be able to stop them if they’ve got time. Then we scored & Can wasn’t even on the pitch & we got Lovren’s goal, but still they came & came very close from the last free kick. A great night was had by all. I’m so thankful for having been part of it. A magical mystery tour. Roll up. Or down.

Ps. We’ve also been lucky to witness Suarez’s three wonder goals against Norwich at Anfield. Life has been good to us.
    Ps2. Enjoyed a few beers with my son too. A first. No kid anymore. 🙂
    Ps3. Came to think of it. When Klopp walked past after saluting the German supporters, he looked my way & I put my thumb up. He looked at me & smiled & after that he, still smiling, made two sighs of relief. Ok, I wasn’t alone so maybe he saw someone else, but it made me proud. Enough!

27. Duke Silver 7 years ago

Surrounded by Utd fans

Last goal

I go mad

I advise same Utd fans of their place

Im asked to be quiet

I refuse

I’m asked to leave

I leave

Happy

a winner

28. dashton23 7 years ago

Watched the 1st leg and felt happy but knew the Anfield leg wouldn’t be straight forward. Why would this Liverpool be anything but drama?

Tonight…..well the only way to describe it is a clusterfuck of emotion.

Something came to mind after the game as a metaphor for how we’ve performed tonight and back in Dortmund. Basically we’re the Italian Stallion ROCKY

Ist leg/1st Creed fight – Plucky took some punches but held our own and in a surprising manor came out as the moral victors, riled our opponents and set the second fight/leg up. Yes Creed/BVB should win overall but who knows? The stage was set and in our hometown, our own crowd, the preparation done, now for the lights and the songs.

Atmosphere – CHECK, this is a big one

2nd leg/Creed fight – Early blows, SHIT this ain’t going to plan, we were supposed to be better, more prepared, but we’re not out of it. There are glimpses that the fight is not over, and the fire still burns.

Take some dignity, throw some punches, we may not win but bugger me we’re going down fighting (Can & Origi I’m looking at you here).

Come out fighting, big blow to rock them. They’re hurt but still the superior fighter, and they show it again and again, but we’re not bothered, this our house, our moment, our time to stand up and be counted when nothing else has gone right.

Change of tactics, switch of positioning, can Joe Allen be a Southpaw? Big blow again, weakness sensed? Their blows keep coming but the intensity is softer, less powerful, more manageable, have they run out of ideas?

A further big blow, right to their body, their soul. The crowd feel it. Our corner feels it. A draw won’t do, the early damage was too costly. We have to knock these fuckers out. The world still doubts it, but who cares, we write our own script.

Time is running out. We’ve won over the neutrals. “Well done you held your own but ultimately the better fighter wins”. Jog on lads we’re not finished. They’ve not been tested like this, pushed like this, scared like this. The crowd arn’t finsihed why should we be?

The final blow. This biggest blow. The winning blow. Bugger me it actually happened! You can have faith, you can have insolence to the status quo, but seriously?! No fucking way should this have happened, but it did and that’s why we love it.

The foe was a worthy adversary worthy of respect. Not some chump we reveled in getting one over. They knew the fight was real and they respected us, and they gave their best but ultimately even sometimes you’ve just got to chalk it up to the ‘shit happens’ column. They weren’t cheated just beaten by something that defies logic.

Unlike Rocky, we’ve won no prize just pride. Pride in our team and a new level of expectation and hope. What we may lack in ability (hopefully Mr Klopp will correct this), we’ve found a spirit, which in my biased opinion only special clubs such as this one can tap into. I would count our opponents tonight within these brethren. It comes and goes and unfortunately has raised its head sparingly in my generation, but when it does, my word it shouts louder and fiercer each time.

Tonight was special. I won’t spout some rhetoric about riding this wave and propelling us forward etc etc. Success will be welcomed but this team is new and raw. If this season brings no silverware so be it. We’ve had tonight. Highs don’t feel as good without the lows. Progress can’t be mapped without development of players and of the team. You learn more from mistakes and failures than success, which may hide an untested weakness.

For now lets enjoy and hope the next meaningful drama is soon in the making.

29. Simply Red 7 years ago

Klopp said ‘We decide when it is over’ near the start of his tenure.  Tonight the players believe, and the fans believe.

30. cvt123 7 years ago

I think this might be a better come back than Instanbul.

Look at when the goals were scored. 48, 66, 78 and 91.

That is a sign of steady pressure rather than the result of a blitz or sudden lapse of opposition concentration.

31. kewinn 7 years ago

Just woke up. Was it a dream?

32. fourcandles 7 years ago

Anybody else think we might be beaten by Bournemouth on Sunday, an anticlimax to a rousing week? Anybody worried? Anybody care? 😉

• Kloppyjbc 7 years ago

8 or 9 changes I reckon. Those playing tonight might struggle mentally.

• danielmarshall 7 years ago

I don’t give a f**k about the league now. I’d love them to focus solely on the (possibly) three remaining Europa League games. A European trophy and a place in the Champions League awaits.

• fourcandles 7 years ago

Yes, I don’t mind the sound of that, especially if we win it all and get into the CL.

If that happens, this is the video that plays in my head:

CL teams represented by people wearing jerseys share drinks and conversation in a rather swanky bar. All of a sudden a trapdoor opens in the floor. A tousle-haired head with bespectacled smiling eyes expectantly rises through the trapdoor. It is Jürgen Klopp.

“Hello,” he says with that trademark rising lilt in his voice.

“BOOM.”

“HAHAHAHAHAHAHA!”

33. harvo 7 years ago

My BP has returned to normal but now I’ve got a hangover. That’s what watching LFC does to you.

34. Gary Fulcher 7 years ago

How’s this for a turnaround. Liverpool were widely criticised and bombarded with stats about how we were the lowest scoring side for decades before the turn of the year and they had a point.

In our first 19 league games we had scored 20 goals.

In all competitions before the turn of the year we’d scored 34 goals in 28 games.

Our tally in all competitions sice Jan 1st? 45 scored in 25 games. In our last 12 league games we’ve scored 28.

Amazing.

• supastrika 7 years ago

I heard that after the last game against Stoke we have the highest number of goals scored since start of 2016 ……true ?  In the PL that is .

35. humdul1 7 years ago

Do you know what – yesterday was when Klopp felt and experienced the full force of Anfield.

And he looked visibly shocked at the end of the game.

Maybe the team had the Klopp effect yesterday.. But Klopp certainly for the Anfield effect yesterday.

This feels like the start of something special. It feels like the Rafa days.

EDIT: This is what the managers said..
    “I can’t explain it,” Tuchel said afterwards, still in a state of shock. “I could explain something logical. That wasn’t logical.”

Jürgen Klopp spoke in similar terms. “Something happened in the stadium,” the Liverpool manager said. “You could hear it, you could feel it and you could smell it.”

36. Kloppy D 7 years ago

What a goal what a game what a night.

at half time I said to my 8 year old – we did it Istanbul we can do it tonight. Not sure I believed it but hey.

but parallels with Istanbul abound?

– Mid table with a new manager getting used to the PL but more comfortable in European competition…

– mixed bag team with potential but also some passengers.

– a game against a team that man for man are superior. And where the manager set us up wrong to begin with and we get battered. then changed it and suddenly we get back in the game. As much through passion and fight as quality.

the “legend of LFC lives on for the world to see. Fucking great stuff.

37. Grover 7 years ago

Not to put a dampener on things but Can may be out for rest of season – I’m surprised as he was very quick to get involved in the celebration of Lovren’s goal!  Let’s hope he’s ok:

• Anthony Stanley 7 years ago

Allen to really step up and show he can do it from the start of a game. He was magnificent last night.

• divilmint 7 years ago

Thats bad news.  He looked to me like he was holding his leg where it was protected by the shinpad so I was optimistic it wouldn’t be too bad.  He was a giant last night and and we’ll miss him if this is true.  Still it will open the door for Allen, who for a short bloke looked pretty gigantic last night too.

• Daniel Rhodes 7 years ago

Can’s thunder-run from inside his own half, with a series of one-twos, then a threaded ball for Origi was the best bit of quality in the whole match.

Gutted if we don’t see him again this season. He’s been a rock, and developed fantastically. He could do with a break, mind you.

38. From football365

…As a Man United fan who had an older Liverpool-supporting sister who tortured me while they won everything when we were sh*t (not the now sh*t, but the sh*t of the eighties, which was actually worse), I generally gloat in every failure or deemed failure they endure. At about the 55-minute mark of the Dortmund game, however, I strangely found myself wanting the b**tards to win. They played with a passion and style I truly believe in, and with such hard work and determination (something I have not seen from my team since that dinosaur took over, not that I solely blame him: we have some mercenaries/turds who need to be shipped off). Hats off to Liverpool! That’s how football should be played. Never give up, out-work your opponents and with a slice of luck, you can overcome any odds. That’s why I love football. Hats off and congrats where it’s due. Sigh…
    Berlin-based Man Utd supporter (Sigh)

39. Graeme Riley 7 years ago

Whenever the team are losing, the normal reaction (for me certainly and I suspect for many other people) is to look for scapegoats in the team and vilify the opposition. United, Chelsea, Everton – we don’t need to be behind to throw abusive insults at the opposition. Yesterday was different however. Possibly because of the speed of the two goal lead, it was almost shock and awe of the way that Dortmund were playing. Did anyone hate the opposition at that moment? No, admire what had been built by our manager and hope that he can replicate that for us.

Most goals arise from multiple errors by the defence rather than brilliance of the attack, and even though errors must have been made by the Liverpool players, it was more the quality of the finishing that remains in the memory.

But a game does not last 10 minutes.

All over the pitch, Dortmund seemed to have more and better players, carving chances almost at will with the most incisive counter-attacking. Liverpool’s players however never conceded, ignoring the risks and gaining an ever bigger foothold in the game, albeit without reward. Sakho’s block on Aubameyang may well have been the turning point as that would have killed the game, surely.

But a game does not last 15 minutes.

Wasted chances to get back into the game, but the players never let their heads drop. Misplaced passes but still they kept their composure and won the ball back in a high press and although there were no shots on target in the first half, there was at least some hope of avoiding embarrassment and the memories of great comebacks of the past. Even though many at the ground would not have been born, the games against Inter, Bruges and St Etienne are etched into our collective memory. Indeed, we had not conceded two goals at such an early stage in any home game in any competition since the UEFA Cup Final of 1976 – and that game was turned around after half-time, so there was still some life in the patient.

But a game does not last 45 minutes.

The hope instilled after Origi’s goal early in the second half was soon crushed when Reus replied, with (on television at least) only the away fans audible.

But a game does not last 65 minutes.

Did the crowd lift the players, or did the players lift the crowd? Or was it the Klopp factor? It would have been easy for Sturridge to pout, having been left out in favour of the pressing game of Origi, and with the team in an impossible position needing three goals, to have wandered aimlessly around, looking for personal glory and stick two fingers up at the manager. But no, he made his contribution, along with the solid platform given by Allen and later Lucas.

Hope restored by Coutinho, if not yet the belief that we could go on and win. Belief restored by Sakho but more attacks thwarted by wasted crosses and passes with a Dortmund team finally slinking back into their shells.

But a game does not last 90 minutes.

I genuinely felt sorry for Dortmund at the end in a way I don’t think I could for ANY English team. At no point did I look for the failings of my own team, but simply appreciated the ability of the Dortmund players. For me, at least, it was ALMOST like watching a game in which I was neutral. Que sera, sera. Resignation from the 8th minute onwards that the game was going to take twists and turns unimagined.  The quality of their play was something to aspire to, but the difference between the teams was probably the one man who unifies them, who wasn’t even on the pitch, but who made the right calls at the right time. A lesson for Tuchel?

It’s hard to imagine that, in a week when City qualified for the Champions League Semi Final for the first time, Real overcame another German side after a two goal deficit, the main headlines throughout Europe would be for the never say die attitude of a club and its fans in the “lesser” competition. Proud to be Red, proud to have Klopp.

PS in a Victor Meldrew moment, am I wrong to think that our success, combined with Man City’s progress, has given a boost to the England co-efficient for the season after next, something from which other teams may benefit. Na, enjoy today, the future will take care of itself.

• Great post Graeme, I have no malice whatsoever towards Dortmund. Our current manager still loves them, but just did that to them, and will still be revered for it at his old club. Only special managers ever get that kind of gratitude. Tuchel was also gracious in his post-match interview.

• Simply Red 7 years ago

Brilliantly summarised!

Since Klopp’s arrival, we seems to be scoring a good number of late, late goals, so this spirit of trying to the end has been built up over time and not a rare event.  We probably had the rub of the green somewhat, scoring every shot we had on target, but the cliche of making our own luck applies here, where the opposition were simply battered down through spirited and relentless pressure.  Good job indeed.

40. Grover 7 years ago

Villareal in semis. Away first. Decent draw.

41. Tony Mckenna (Macattack) 7 years ago

Liverpool Football Club, in an unprecedented move, have set up a Helpline for hapless fans who are having difficulty coming to terms with the reality of recent events.

Of course, I am only kidding but that is the kind of realm we have been catapulted into.  It is an occasion when Fact displays more artistic liberty than fiction could ever dare to take. Except, being rooted in reality, it imparts more entertainment value than fiction could ever wish to match.

It is a movie moment. Like the scene in Grease where the rickety car goes into the garage.  One song later, and the same car is a hot rod destined to win a race at Thunder Road.  Similarly, and overnight, the Europa League has morphed from Fiat to Ferrari.  It is a fairy tale. A much maligned ugly duckling transformed into a beautiful Swan.  For Liverpool supporters, movies and fairy tales became entwined with reality.  This… really… happened.  It`s still hard to comprehend.

But we have a new reality.  Whilst LVG is exasperated with reaching a domestic semi-final, believing this proves he is not a `lousy` Manager, City and Liverpool happen to be in European semi-finals.  Touch for that.  If our European semi-final is inferior to that of City it is the case that the Europa League can make us aspirational towards it`s bigger Sister.  Just a few games away from Champions League competition posits us as if fifth in the League just a few points away from finishing top 4.  It was our best ever chance.

I admit I have always had a romantic leaning towards this competition.  How could I not? My first ever football match was the then UEFA Cup.  I was 8 years old.  I wrote about the experience for TTT in the `First Ever Time I saw the Reds` series.  You have to understand that, as a boy, I had only previously seen football on a black and white TV screen.  I was then exposed to a world where colour ran riot and the noise scared the living daylights out of my soul.  It was beautifully terrifying.  And we won.  I fell in love.  I stayed in love.  I loved what happened last night.

Should we get into the Champions League think about where this places us for next Season`s campaign.  Klopp can secure the interest of higher quality players.  Moreover, we get to start the season with our Manager already in place; not having to change mid-stream; whilst United, Chelsea and City will all need to embrace the uncertainty of new personnel at the managerial helm.  We already know the new Chelsea guy is steeped in controversial corruption.  Have it!  Wenger, too, grips onto his position on a wet cliff side with criticism raining down from the terraces.

Stability has eluded us for far too long and now we glean an edge over our competitors.  Re-read Paul`s inspirational piece on the youngsters coming to the fore.  Recognise, also, that with our ownership we are in far superior business hands than we have been for a very long time – whatever your views on FSG may be.  Liverpool Football is so well placed for the future.  Maybe our luck is changing.

Last night`s events were played out in different Universes where the end result differed.  In some of those, Dortmund were the victors.  Even the outcome where we won, the luck we gleaned could have happened another time; in another match; in another life.  But, to paraphrase the Beautiful South:

“Don`t want it in the next life…I want it in this”.

And we got it.  Meanwhile, down on the Waterfront in Liverpool, many gibberish reds fans hold hands looking out to the Mersey.  Still trying to come to terms with reality.  I am one of them.  Say hello if you come down.  Whisper it quietly; (I won`t tell anyone): “I love the Europa League”.

Bloody, fucking hell, indeed! This was a game my Children and Grandchildren will remember. 🙂

• Kloppyjbc 7 years ago

Round of applause sir!

After the League, the “bread and butter” – the no1 tourny of the year – was Europa.

I never understand those who prefer not to be in it. European recognition, the glory, the bg games – yes! big games!

Of course it’s hard to win – doesn’t that make the achievement even better?

In my mind, when I look at the Honour Roll – I look at Leagues, then I look at Euroean Cups, then I look at Uefa Cups…….then the domestic cups.

I love this cup.

42. Marwan Killu 7 years ago

What a game to pick as your first to watch at Anfield! What a night, what an atmosphere, best supporters in the world indeed.

I took my 8 year old boy with me, he couldn’t sleep last night from the excitement! When we scored the first I thought to myself this could be an Istanbul moment!

I thought we started to get more control when Joe Allen came on. Can was immense as was Sakho.

The bloke next to me was saying how poor our corners were, I said to him that we haven’t scored one this season [was corrected by my 8 year old who remembered Kolo scoring vs Villa] only for us to go and score one!

• Author

That’s like starting with your first girlfriend being a supermodel, or your first car being a Ferrari. You’ve ruined your son! You need to start with a 0-0 against West Brom 😉

• Marwan Killu 7 years ago

I agree Paul, every match from now is going to be a bit of a comedown 😉

• Author
        Paul Tomkins 7 years ago

He needs some Pulis or Allardyce quick, or he’ll think football is always enjoyable!

43. Allen Baynes 7 years ago

Is anyone out there still bouncing?

Thought so 🙂

What a week, I think arguably the best in my years as a red. To be in Dortmund, which was a special time thanks to the wonderful reception from their fans. (At half-time, we were in the German end, a Dortmunder brought me and my two mates a beer each to our seats, how brilliant is that?)

Then to be there last night, wow!!!! I was at the Milan game in 65, St Etienne, the two Bruges finals, Wembley in 65,74, and 86, Juve away, Chelsea at home and Istanbul, never mind the three cups in 2001 and Cardiff 2006. But I think that was the best atmosphere and the most brilliant fightback aginst a very talented side. To hear the singing as people poured out into the night was truly magnificent.

The Klopp effect eh, no one leaving early, surge in belief, now he has just got to work on the moaners! I had 3 behind me slagging us off when we were 2-0 down. I told them they were privileged to be in the ground watching such a high quality team, (Dortmund not us!!!) It was their brilliance not us being crap. At half time when they were still moaning, I told them not to worry I’d seen it before, (Bruges 76), played off the park first half and 2-0 down, second half we scored 3 and won 3-2.

At the end of the game they were no longer moaning and regarded me as a new age Nostradamus, (Or just a spikey old twat who is always banging on about the past).

Well I have new event to bang on about now and, with Kloop, the promise of many more to come.

• Chris Rowland 7 years ago

I remember that Bruges UEFA Cup Final first leg Allen, 2-0 down at home after an hour, and distinctly second best. Then we scored 3 in 5 minutes, won 3-2 then drew 1-1 in Bruges to clinch the UEFA Cup.  It was one of the earliest examples of what has now become almost a European cliche for us.

• Roller. 7 years ago

So Allen, you got a ticket down there in Dortmund? Great. What a life in front of us wanting to be lived.

44. ShaunGaddu 7 years ago

Take a bow Divock Origi!

It takes some player to lead the line at a World Cup for a major nation at 18… You can start to see why Belgium were picking him over Lukaku back then!

45. Just to add one last thing.

Bloody Hell. THIS. IS. HEAVY. METAL. FOOTBALL.

46. Jeff 7 years ago

I am certain that others such as Chris can put what I am about to write in a better perspective or more eloquently and I hope they do.

To me what made the Bill Shankly, the Bob Paisley, the Joe Fagan, and King Kenny the first team so great was that they routinely or seemingly routinely won matches they had no business winning. Why? For the 90 minutes they gave everything to Liverpool FC and often not always the other team would think they had a match won or the other team would make a mistake or Liverpool would dominate or a whole host of other events would turn a match that was seemingly lost to a victory. For a few years under Rafa this reality returned to Liverpool but sadly H and G prevented it again from taking root.

Klopp has restored the world where Liverpool team fight for 90 minutes and win matches they should not have won. Now this revoluation under Klopp is not perfect – Southampton – and still not fully established but you could see in yesterday’s match that at no point did the players on the pitch or Klopp think the match was beyond them and lo and behold it was not.

I have believed for more than 50 years or since the time of Vince Lombardi and his Green Bay Packers that some team such as Liverpool in its golden years have the mental toughness and the desire to put out whatever it takes to win matches and this is what I see happening in Liverpool. It bodes well for the future of LIverpool FC.

My only problem with this reality is that I am getting too old to experience matches such as yesterday on a regular bases.

47. Ethan Chung 7 years ago

I have two comments:

1. No other team in this world is as dramatic as Liverpool. I am so glad to be a fan.

2. For semi-final, is it better to lose in the first leg and then come back in the second leg? Just kidding and I prefer to win like we did against ManU.

Make us dream!

48. mr miyagi 7 years ago

well you lucky buggers i spent the whole game in a far flung forigen land with no TV and very ify wifi, managed to follow it until 87mins when we had to board under protest  lost all data on phone not knowing the final score, until another red on the plane got a last min txt with final score, just about to watch highlights on BT, gutted to mis it all, proud as punch once again off our fantastic club.

Be there for the semi though!

49. ginger_elvis 7 years ago

What a game.

What a pair of teams.

They (fans, team and manager) were classy throughout and even when Hummels resorted to some nefarious dark arts it didn’t rile me, in fact it was slightly impressive.

Weirdly, even at 2-0 and 3-1 down I didnt feel despondent like I have in the  past, merely pride at the fact that, whilst losing, we were giving a great account of ourselves against an incredible team (that was as good as anything left in the Chamions League, let alone the Europa League). Sometimes you just have to accept that they are better.

BUT

We didnt look out of place. We didnt look inferior. We played brilliantly without even playing that well!

We didnt make many mistakes in the way that we usually gift at least one goal a game. I know Sakho was arguably at fault for a couple with his positioning and Firmino and Coutinho gave the ball away high up the pitch in the build up to their first half goals (and dont get me started om Milner’s corners) but for them to punish us, thrice,  was more a product of their sheer speed and excellence rather than of our failings.

Equally, none of our goals were gifts, in fact Origi’s and Coutinho’s were breathtaking and even Lovren’s was brilliantly crafted.

The world took a quick look at us after the Man U game. Now they will be looking a bit closer. They will know who Origi is. They will know Joe Allen too.

And the thing is, as good as we were. We can be much much better.

What a game.

What a pair of teams.

What a time for the ‘Liverpool Country’ (TM Mahmadou Sakho)

50. red mick 7 years ago

What a night. Even the elective mute who sits next to me in the Centenary was moved to cheer. He even stayed until the end, unlike his silent mate who left after 85 mins. What a pillock. Also some verbal jousting around me at 0-2 with one guy telling a moaner not to be a knob and the insults flying back and forth as half time approached.

i honestly don’t know why some people go. Even though it looked as if we were in for a hiding, I was in awe at BVB’s opening pace and precision. Such a collection of talents. Reus is magnificent and Manu must have a great midfield to dump Kagawa.

And yet, the Reds triumphed. A fantastic game to rival anything I’ve ever seen. Thanks to everyone. A season lifted to the heights in 90 glorious minutes.

51. acsgp 7 years ago

Tuchel

“It feels very sobering. Now we feel very, very empty,” Tuchel said.

“We were on the verge of a major aim, a real milestone: overcoming Liverpool at Anfield in a knockout match. We must face the fact that we did not manage it.

“We must be fair and admit that after going 3-1 up we no longer coped with how much risk Liverpool were playing with.

“The trust in our ways of operating was no longer so high, especially under stress and pressure. And thus the worst-case scenario occurred.

“We had a significant cushion but lost the second half 4-1. That is far below the standards that we set ourselves.”

“We were missing the confidence and the presence to calm the game down after they pulled back to 3-2 and to perform against our opponent. At a certain point they were completely driven by emotion.

“Ultimately we were hit by a late sucker punch from the opposition. S*** happens.”

52. Marwan Killu 7 years ago

Maybe some of the regular Anfield match day goers can answer this, at half time we went to get a hot dog, but they had none left!! Is that a regular occurrence?

I know a few hot dogs won’t necessarily buy you a Coutinho but the revenue generated from this can go towards paying some of the other non playing staff?

Its not like they didn’t expect it to be a sell out?

53. Marwan Killu 7 years ago

Klopp was making his way into the stadium casually walking around the streets of Liverpool as kick off was approaching, like he was “one of the lads” happily posing for pictures. Is it the norm for Liverpool managers to be walking casually amongst the fans on match days?!

• Rosspie 7 years ago

I think that was the lookalike (or ‘Klopp-a-like’!). He was quite convincing though so I understand your confusion!

54. sauyee 7 years ago

In Klopp we have a very special manager. I started with Roy Evans era but I never witnessed anyone like Klopp. Basically no one near him. Rafa and Houllier are quality but Klopp is something different.

At 0-2, Klopp still rallied the team from touchline non-stop. Shouting, pointing, venting, you name it. He is the driving force to the team. Once half time whitsle blown, he ran back to the tunnel, I believe getting ready early to rally the troop.And of course by now, we can hear several stories from the players on what Klopp told them during half time.

Tactic and strategy are important but how the manager delivers could be the crucial point. We are lucky to have Klopp. Hope we finish high by the end of the season and begin a new dynasty starting next season.

YNWA

55. Molby rules 7 years ago

I am sitting here reading all your great comments, drinking my well-deserved end-of-the-workweek Friday night beer, and cannot stop smiling. Somehow today has been great day no matter what. Last night’s match has done wonders for keeping the spirits up. It is fantastic what football can do to you and more what being a fan of Liverpool can do to you. Yes, you get let downs. Yes, we are not in the top 4 in the premier at the moment. But there is always the possibility of drama and a 4-3 match against Dortmund, 4-1 against City or any other BOOM you could mention.  Our defense might be leaking goals, but we know our offense can score that one extra.

I really enjoy being a fan of this fantastic club. I think I’ll have a second beer, and I cannot wait until Sunday. 🙂

56. Author

I’ve just watched the game for the third time.

It gets better each time! The third time I focused more on the reactions of the players and fans when the goals went in. Sturridge even does a little Henderson skip when Lovren goes up to head it!

I hope Hendo himself is back in time for the final (if we make it), even if he only makes the bench. He must have been half elated last night and half gutted to not be out there.

57. Author

The German media have been more awed than heartbroken by the spectacular match between Liverpool and Dortmund: “4:3! King Klopp makes Dortmund cry”, says the front-page headline on the bestselling tabloid Bild.

“Football was invented for nights like these. With the last kick of the game, Liverpool wrestled down Dortmund in a wonderful thriller. There may never be another match like this,” writes the paper.

Spiegel Online, too, was taken in by the atmosphere at Anfield: “It can come across a bit strange when footballers evoke magical powers and make it seem as if not their own mistakes but supernatural powers had brought about a defeat.

“But among the football-faith community the legendary Anfield Road stadium is not considered a sacred site for nothing, and on this memorable night everyone felt what mighty magic can be summoned here.”

Describing the match as “a classic in the illustrious history of these two clubs for years to come”, the commentator Daniel Theweleit also believed that the atmosphere at Anfield put Dortmund’s own famed fan culture into the shade: “Even those who have watched the club for centuries agreed that Dortmund has never achieved this kind of intensity.”

Munich-based Süddeutsche Zeitung found satisfaction in seeing the German coach Jürgen Klopp exporting his magic touch across the Channel. “In Liverpool Klopp has managed to make his special energy rub off on his team, this absolute conviction that willpower can move mountains as long as it is strong enough.

“He managed to create such special moments in Dortmund too, for example with the unforgettable 3-2 against Málaga. Klopp knows exactly when movements and tactics don’t matter anymore because other things have become more important.”

• fourcandles 7 years ago

I sure would like to meet “those who have watched the clubs for centuries”! ?

• Are Wonder Woman, Conor McLeod et al Liverpool fans?

58. carragher2323 7 years ago

I was crying before the game when the moment of silence for the 96 was observed. My wife left the house to provide me with uninterrupted match watching pleasure to which she returned home to see me crying again after Lovren’s goal. “Have you been crying for the entire 2 hours I was gone?” I replied: no but tears will be shed for longer than that now!

59. Taşkın (Tash) 7 years ago

Do I need to say “What a game!”?

Obviously not, but what the hell.  Ive been muttering it to myself all day long. Itching to tell anyone who will listen about the utter madness of it all.

I spent a ridiculous amount of time messaging friends after the game about ‘what a game’ it was.

Then I hardly slept. Too much adrenaline. Too much joy.

But regardless I was up on time for work – no alarm needed – and actually looking forward to getting there. I needed to talk about the game.

And when you’re an ‘an out of countrier’ like many of us here, its so much more relevant to speak about a European game. Everyone knows what happened. Its relevant to them too. I sat looking expectantly at every face that come through the door. A ridiculous grin plastered on my face that said “go on, ask me about the match”.

As Paul mentions, Real Madrid had their own great comeback this week. But theirs was against a team that they should never have been trailing to in the first place. It was only a question of whether or not Real would play to their obvious strength T home. They did. And they duly won. No biggy really. It was just recovering from a hiccup in the 1st leg.

This though. This was special. It was as special as it comes without actually being a final. And at the same time it was even better than a final because it was done at home. And because of that it enhanced the otherwise over-inflated perception of Anfield and The Kop as they are today.  This was the ground and the atmosphere at its very best. Harnessing and displaying all the strength, passion, belief and utter noise that the marketing men sell to the football world as if its a regular occurence.  Unfortunately on most match days that Anfield and that Kop don’t exist anymore. But occasionaly the fans, like the team, are capable of rolling back the years – even bettering them to an extent, perhaps because now success isnt taken for granted anymore. Games like that certainly aren’t. Games like that never were.  Hopefully this serves as a reminder to all in the ground as to how exciting they can make a game. It really is largely up to them. The atmosphere is theirs to make.

Away from the fans and the ground many people have spoken of the weight of the Liverpool shirt in the past and of the additional weight of expectation attached to certain numbers. Who plays in the No 7 or No 9??? Can they justifying wearing it? How do they compare with this legend or that?  Klopp too alluded to players sometimes carrying the club’s history on their backs. It was something he wanted to guard against.

But last night we saw the flipside to that arguement. That shirt, so full of history, has a memory too. A power if you will. Just as it can drag you down, it can drag you up and drive you on. Its not any shirt. Its a Liverpool one.

Klopp had his part to play, as undoubtedly did the fans. But it was ultimately the players on the pitch who drove themselves on against massive odds and who did so despite twice falling 2 goals behind. Whilst Istanbul, Cardiff and Newcastle (amongst others) can be mentioned as previous examples of the club making comebacks they were obviously different players and a different managerial team too.  It really does feel like something special belongs to this club in that respect. Something remains in the shirt, literally woven in to the fabric of the club.

Despite still singing the song, the truth is that in terms of success we’re no longer ‘the greatest football team the world has ever seen’. And we havent been for years.

But the fact that we can still occassionally go out and pull out performances and results like last night tells me that we just might be the greatest football club. And long may that be the case.

60. S Kloppo Chew 7 years ago

Interesting stats from the BBC

The stats you need to know

Divock Origi has netted four goals in his past three Liverpool games after failing to score in nine games previous to that

James Milner has now been involved in more Liverpool goals than any other player in 2015-16 (19 – seven goals, 12 assists)

Liverpool have never lost at home to German opposition in European competition (W11 D3)

Liverpool’s four goals came from their only four shots on target in the entire game

The Reds conceded three goals at Anfield in a European tie for only the sixth time in their history

Aubameyang has now scored 37 goals in 44 games for Borussia Dortmund this season

Dortmund scored more goals (2) in the opening nine minutes of the game on Thursday than German opposition had managed in 13 previous trips to Anfield (1).

61. PC- 7 years ago

Just watched the game again (who hasn’t…), say what you want about boring Milner but despite his well documented flaws it was his run that created space for the cross for the last goal. He did the same to open us up when playing for City in THAT game 2013/14 which got them the second goal. He can be frustrating to watch sometimes but seems to come up with assists when it matters, has a great cross and his work rate is up there with Hendo.

• klopporeborn 7 years ago

Yes and that was his second assist of the game!

62. garythespud 7 years ago

Not sure if anyone has heard this from 5Live but brilliant stuff. All the goals edited together and Ian Dennis simply has lost it by the end.

63. Umar 7 years ago

I am so happy on such a high and I wasn’t lucky enough to watch the match, was on a Flight to Pakistan, the plane didn’t have Wifi and all the way I was shifting in my seat, thinking what was going on, dreading the thought of quick tempo passing between Mikhitaryan, Auba and Reus, wasn’t wrong to think that, all three scored on Thursday.

When I landed their was free Wifi and first thing I did was go on Twitter and Liverpool fans were happy, the gloomy, miserable, hyper critical and cynicism that is usually present on social media was replaced with joy and everyone just tweeting FUCK what was that, I started jumping around screaming, hugging my Man Utd supporting mate who was on the flight with me, who said congrats and was happy for me, this was before I went through the Immigration desk, which always in my experience, has a miserable bastard sitting their looking at you suspiciously, probably due to my Arab name and Origin.

When I got home watched the full match on fullmatches, it’s a website that I think all fans should check out, I was shocked to see how we fought back.

I also think Milner is the new Kuyt, not easy on the eye, versatile, steps up for penalties or at crucial moments in crucial games, which makes up for his drunken style of football at times, where he has no control on his balance and falls all over the place or makes late tackles, but his workrate and experience in Europe is crucial for this young, exciting team and In Origi, we have one of the best young Forwards in Europe.

Origi also has a lot of Experience playing in Europe, which is crucial for any forward and in Lallana we have a player who will always look better in European games, due to the protection offered by the referees in the game.

• red mick 7 years ago

Never stuck me, your comparison of Milly and Kuyt. But you’re right in so many ways Umar

• Author

Milner is definitely Kuyt-like. And that also means better wider than in central midfield! 😉

• madchenKliop 7 years ago

Great description Umar.  I think you are dead right about him taking with the one hand and giving back with the other, which kind of suits the crazy style of football that is needed for this team to win Cup matches.  Even if he is better out wide he will bring that mixture of presence, organisation and intent to the miidfield.  It makes me feel a lot better about our losing Hendo and Can for the remainder of the campaign.

• I like Milner a lot because he is the consumate pro. I like it even more if he plays as an attacking roving mid but not as a midfield anchor AND set pieces unless it is a short or direct pass to a teamate.

This season he has definitely shown that he is integral to Klopp’s tactical plans.  This game shows that he is just that.

• Assif 7 years ago

Yes very good observation about Milner Umar, he frustrates me in the middle but he was at his best at Man City out wide surrounded by tricky players around him. As awful as his dead ball kicks are, I think he’s actually a pretty good crosser on the run as seen in his assist for Lovren. He needs to be kept out wide right and work passing combinations with Clyne and Coutinho/Lallana.

There’s many games that I watch him and wonder what he’s contributed but he does something for the team and that’s borne out in the stats. I felt the same about Kuyt. I had a long running joke with my friends that only LFC managed to buy all the technically poor Dutch players (see Kuyt, Babbel, Kromkamp) but Kuyt was a massive part of our success despite not being eye catching.

I don’t think Milner’s got the legs to be a starter next season but he does have attacking quality so a squad player at the very least. Can’t fault his attitude either.

• Jonathon Davies 7 years ago

I think Milner is a very clever footballer.

64. FirePhoenix23 7 years ago

Oh my god that was intense! I’m honestly still pinching myself to check that it actually happened.

But somehow I knew it was going to happen… even down 3-1 I just felt the game wasn’t over. If we could just get a goal I knew they weren’t invincible.

And when we went into injury time level I never thought we wouldn’t score. We had them on the ropes. It just seemed inevitable!

And then they got that free kick in the last minute 25 yards out I knew they would score. Thankfully on that one I was completely wrong!

• Assif 7 years ago

On that last minute free kick I was convinced they were going to score, because our comeback just felt too good to be true..

I’ve watched the highlights several times over and that free kick still causes me shivers…

Thankfully it went wide!

65. mortiKlopp 7 years ago

Just saw the highlights with commentators from every language there is. Fucking gold. Ha ha. Fantastic.

66. Ispahan1 7 years ago

I was unlucky enough (or maybe not)  to be on a plane when the match started and checked at halftime.  My husband and I were texting back and forth during the trip to my hotel, and it was great today to go back and read the Coutinho!!  Sakho!!  Lovren bloody hell!!! texts.

Thursday I went out to get dinner and as I was walking back to the hotel, still giddy, I passed a young man wearing a Man U Chevrolet shirt.  It was all I could do not to point and laugh at him.  Had a job interview and presentaion yesterday, and couldn’t start to work on it until about 9:00 p.m. because I was so pumped up.

Got home late last night but we had to watch the entire match from start to finish.  Just great.  This will do even more for our recruiting in Europe.